If you’ve decided to try the ketogenic diet and don’t know exactly what to eat, this simple ketogenic diet list Includes everything you can eat for ketogenic diet success!
KETOGENIC DIET FOOD LIST: WHAT TO EAT
To succeed with this simple diet which is pretty strict at times you need to choose how to develop a ketogenic diet that works for you and your individual needs. Further you can read what to eat to succeed!
KETOGENIC DIET FOOD LIST: FATS
At least 60% of your calories must be Fat. You must be sure that you eat the right types of fats. Healthy fats are the cornerstone of ketogenic diet.
HEALTHY SATURATED AND MONOUNSATURATED FATS
- Butter or ghee
- Macadamia nuts
- Coconut butter
- Cocoa butter
- Egg yolks (go with pasture-raised for the extra few bucks)
- Coconut oil, olive oil, MCT oil, or avocado oil
- Nuts and seeds or nut butter (choose fattier nuts like macadamia nuts or almonds)
- Fatty fish
KETOGENIC DIET FOOD LIST: PROTEINS
Taking too much protein instead of fat can cause the body to break down protein for fuel instead of fat. You need to monitor intake of meat and eggs.
- Beef, preferably fattier cuts like steak, veal, roast, ground beef, and stews.
- Poultry,including chicken, quail, duck, turkey, and wild game—try to focus on the darker, fattier meats.
- Pork,including pork loin, tenderloin, chops, ham, bacon, and ground.
- Fish,including mackerel, tuna, salmon, trout, halibut, cod, catfish, and mahi-mahi.
- Shellfish, including oysters, clams, crab, mussels, and lobster.
- Organ meats, including heart, liver, tongue, kidney, and offal.
- Eggs, including deviled, fried, scrambled, and boiled. Use the whole egg.
Beware of meats that contained processed ingredients, sauces, or cured meats with added sugars. These can easily increase your carb and sugar intake.
KETOGENIC FOOD LIST: CARBOHYDRATES
- Swiss chard
- Bok choy
- Brussels sprouts
- Bell peppers
- Spaghetti squash
Fruits contain high sugar and must be limited or eaten in small amounts. In addition lower-sugar options:
For fruits and vegetables, fresh or frozen is fine, and organic is best but not required.
KETOGENIC FOOD LIST: EVERYTHING ELSE
KETOGENIC DIET FOOD LIST: EXTRAS (CONDIMENTS, SPICES, SWEETENERS)
Homemade is always the best when you time to prepare, here are pre-made condiments that are safe to use :
SAUCES AND CONDIMENTS
- Yellow mustard
- Ketchup without added sugars (or sugar alcohols)
- Mayonnaise (preferably made from cage-free eggs)
- Hot sauces
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sauerkraut without added sugars
- High-fat salad dressings with low or no added sugars
HERBS AND SPICES
Make sure that herbs and spices don`t contain sugars and are purely the herb or spice, because if they contain added sugars and carbs are not ketogenic diet-friendly
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Lemon or lime juices
- Salt and pepper
You need to choose sweeteners with caution if you do use them. If you use sweeteners, here are some things to remember :
- Only use low glycemic index sweeteners
- Try to stay away from sweeteners (even low/no-calorie or low/no-sugar) that use the sugar alcohol
Here are some safe, low-glycemic sweetener options:
- Erythritol Monk fruit
- Sucralose(use liquid version if possible)
KETOGENIC DIET FOOD LIST: DAIRY
Most dairy products get the green light on keto. Just opt for the full-fat version and preferably organic and raw, if possible. Remember, fat is fuel, and the reason we would eat dairy is for the high-quality fat.
- Full-fat yogurts
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Cottage cheese
- Cream cheese
- Hard cheeses like Parmesan, Swiss, feta, and cheddar
- Soft cheese like brie, Monterrey jack, mozzarella, and blue cheese
Use this ketogenic diet food list as your guide when planning your ketogenic meals and helping you stay on track!