People have always believed that consuming fat leads to weight gain and that the carbohydrates are actually “body friendly”. However over the past few years a lot of researches and studies have been conducted on the nutrition field and experts have proved that this is not true. Dr Atkins showed that if we restrict (remove) carbohydrates from our diet, our body will start using the body stored fat to produce energy, and by that we’ll start losing weight. The process starts when our body enters a metabolic state known as ketosis. Studying this metabolic state has led to the “birth” of the “keto” diet.
Many people mix the ketogenic diet with the Atkins’ diet and are confused whether it is the same diet or not. They are not! Although the basis is the same – they are both low carb diets, there is a difference between them in terms that the Atkins diet is a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet, whilst the keto diet is a low to moderate carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. It’s important to note that the fats consumed in the keto diet will come from healthy sources and the following are just some of the gains of this diet:
- Improved metabolic function;
- Fat and weight loss;
- Increased energy levels;
- Muscle gain.
Following is The Easiest 5 Day Keto Diet Meal Plan which is easy and simple and won’t take you a lot of time to prepare it. Just take the ingredients listed in each meal and either cook them or put them together. Simple!
KETO DIET MEAL PLAN BEST FOODS
- Nut butters
- Protein powder (low carb)
- Non-starchy vegetables
- Green leafy vegetables
- Full fat sour cream
- Natural yoghurt
- Cottage cheese
- Natural nut flours
- Liquid stevia sweeteners
- Decaf coffee
- Herbal teas
FIVE DAY KETO DIET PLAN
- 3 scrambled eggs cooked in butter
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1 100% meat sausage
- Spicy chicken, spinach, mixed leaf, and bacon salad
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Half a cup of natural yoghurt
- Fried salmon fillet
- Wilted spinach
- Toasted almonds
Tip: Drink plenty of water throughout the day! Whilst on a keto diet it’s very important to drink lots of water. Ketosis can also put you at a higher risk of kidney stones and drinking more water can be preventative for that issue.
- Mixed pepper and spinach omelette or frittata
- Mixed seeds and smooth almond nut butter
- Egg and bacon muffin cups (baked beaten egg with chopped crispy bacon inside, baked in muffin trays)
- Coconut shrimps and mixed veggies
Tip: While on a keto diet eat lots of eggs throughout the week!!! Eggs are rich in healthy fats, and also in different nutrients which you are no longer getting from the fruits and vegetables cut from your diet.
- Cheese and bacon omelette
- Natural yogurt and mixed nuts
- Ham and cheese roll ups on a bed of wilted spinach
- Half a ripe avocado with a handful of mixed prawns or shrimp
- Spicy chicken wings (homemade)
- Blue cheese and sour cream dip
- Celery sticks
Tip: From time to time you can have a little wine, low-carb beer or spirits with sugar-free mixers such as sparkling water and a slice of lime. Avoid heavy beers and drinks with soda!
- Poached eggs
- Smoked salmon
- Half a sliced avocado
- Mixed seeds and natural peanut butter
- Basic tuna and mayonnaise salad on a bed of romaine lettuce
- Spicy minced beef
- Roasted bell peppers
- Mozzarella cheese
Tip: You can stuff the peppers with minced beef, put some cheese on top of it!
- Low-carb protein pancakes
- Sugar free syrup
- Crispy bacon
- Leftover spicy minced beef served inside crispy lettuce leaf cups
- String cheese and mixed nuts
- Cheesy cauliflower and broccoli puree
- Baked spicy chicken thighs
- Handful of mixed cashew nuts
Tip: You can drink a cup of coffee or herbal tea in the morning!