The medical term for the presence of sand and stones in your kidneys is called nephrolithiasis. Kidney stones are formed from certain substances such as calcium, oxalate, and phosphate. They are based in the urinary tract in much higher concentrations that the limit is. More than a few factors are associated with nephrolithiasis like poor diet, obesity, genetic predisposition etc.
The quality of our food affects the creation of kidney stones and there are certain food products that can increase or reduce the creation of kidney stones.
TYPES OF KIDNEY STONES
In order to prevent the existence of kidney stones in your body, it is necessary based on their chemical composition to determine what type of kidney stone you are struggling with.
THERE ARE 4 GROUPS OF KIDNEY STONES:
This is the most common group of kidney stones that most people are affected with and it is made from two smaller groups’ calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate. One of the reasons for their occurrence is when urine pH is very low and when there is increased amount of calcium and oxalate in the urine.
This stones usually affect female population and they occur as a result of infection of the urinary track.
URIC ACID STONES
They develop when the there is an increased concentration of uric acid in the urine or when the pH value of the urine is reduced.
This type of kidney stones is very rare and it can affect both women and men. It is an autosomal disease or cystic fibrosis characterized with cysteines which are neutral amino acids that helped the formation of calculi.
CONSUMPTION OF FOOD ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF KIDNEY STONES
CALCIUM KIDNEY STONES
- Reduce sodium intake. In this type of stones, a big part plays the amount of sodium in your body. In order to control sodium, you must read the label of a particular product that you plan to eat. Avoid consumption of food products that contain a high level of sodium such as hot dogs, frozen processed food, meat products such salami, bacon and much more. Also beware of products that have hidden sodium inside like sodium bicarbonate, sodium alginate, sodium nitrate or nitrite, monosodium glutamate and others.
- Reduce the number of animal proteins. It is a fact that consumption of animal proteins increases the risk of calcium stones because they affect the excretion of calcium and citrate in the urine track.
- Avoid food products rich of oxalates. One part of oxalates is excreted in the urine tract and stays in the body. And affects the formation of kidney stones. You must avoid certain food products that have a high concentration of oxalate. This includes eating spinach, black tea, coca cola, chocolate, nuts coffee and more.
- Make sure to supply your body with sufficient amount of calcium. If you take calcium through food products in normal quantities you won’t increase the risk of creating oxalate stones. But if you take calcium supplements you will increase the risk of producing oxalate stones. Especially if you don’t take them with your meal.
STRUVITE KIDNEY STONES
This type of stones happens as a result of kidney infection. That’s way the treatment for removing this stone must consist of removing the previously stones present in the urinary system. There is no medical diet that can prevent the occurrence of struvite stones.
URIC ACID STONES
Reduce the number of purines since they are present in every food that we eat. That applies to eggs, meat, fish and especially animal parts like liver or brain. These products contain purines and they can produce yield uric acid that is excreted in the urinary tract. That’s way patients that suffer from uric acid stones are advised to avoid eating meat products, soy, lentils, tofu and proteins from dairy products.
For successfully removing this type of stones you must alkalize your urine by drinking plenty of liquids.
- In case you had a problem with your kidneys in the past then you must start and drink at least 2 liters of water every day.
- Citrus drinks like fresh orange and lemon juice prevent the formation of calcium oxalate stones thanks to the citrate which they have.
- There is no problem drinking coffee or tea on daily basis unless you have calcium oxalate stones.