Lemon is one of the most common kitchen ingredients, used both in cooking as well as beauty regimens for skin and hair.
It provides many health benefits, such as improving digestion, balancing pH levels, fighting body odor, boosting the immune system, fighting infection, controlling high blood pressure and more. However, your skin and hair love lemon even more.
This citrus fruit is a good source of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It also has antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, and astringent properties that help improve the appearance and condition of your hair, skin and nails.
To derive the various beauty benefits of lemons, you can drink lemon water daily and also apply it on your skin.
1. REJUVENATES SKIN
Both men and women want radiant and flawless skin, free of wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots and uneven tone. Lemon is one ingredient that can help rejuvenate your skin and make it look beautiful and young.
The vitamin C in lemon boosts collagen production, which restores skin elasticity to help maintain a smooth and youthful appearance.
It even protects against free-radical damage. In addition, its astringent properties help tighten the skin and prevent signs of premature aging like wrinkles and fine lines.
- Put some honey on a piece of lemon and rub it gently on your face, neck, hands and legs. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, dilute lemon juice with an equal amount of rose water or vitamin E oil and apply it on your skin. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Follow this remedy a few times a week.
- Also, drink a glass of lemon water twice daily to keep your skin beautiful from within.
2. CURES ACNE AND SCARS
Lemon contains L-ascorbic acid, a natural astringent that helps treat acne quickly. In addition, the vitamin C in lemon promotes growth of healthy skin tissues as well as minimizes the appearance of acne scars and spots.
It also contains antibacterial properties that can kill the bacteria responsible for acne.
- Simply rub a slice of lemon across the affected area. Wait 5 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. Repeat twice daily until the acne is gone.
- Alternatively, prepare a solution with ½ teaspoon each of lemon juice and rose water. Using a cotton ball, apply it on the affected skin. Wait 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Follow this remedy twice daily.
- Also, drink a glass of lemon water daily to protect your skin from free-radical damage and maintain a good pH level.
3. TREATS DANDRUFF
Lemon juice can treat dandruff and control itchiness on the scalp. It helps balance the pH level of your scalp and reduces excess oil secretion, two major contributing factors in dandruff. Additionally, its antifungal and antibacterial action helps fight scalp infections.
- Mix the juice of 2 lemons in 1 cup of water. After shampooing, rinse your hair with this diluted solution. Wait 5 minutes, then rinse your hair with plain water. Use this remedy once or twice a week.
- Mix the juice of 1 lemon in 1 cup of plain yogurt. Add a little coconut or olive oil to it and mix well. Apply it on your slightly wet hair, especially on the roots. Wear a shower cap for 30 minutes before rinsing it out with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice a week.
Avoid going out in the sun when using lemon remedies for dandruff as it can lighten your hair color.
4. REDUCES STRETCH MARKS
Stretch marks are unsightly and people often find them a serious cosmetic concern. When it comes to treating stretch marks at home, lemon is a good option to consider.
Its mild acidic property aids the skin in sloughing off dead skin cells and developing new skin cells. In addition, the vitamin C in it is highly effective for promoting healthy skin.
- Gently rub a slice of lemon on the stretch marks in circular motions for 5 minutes. Allow the juice to dry, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 1 or 2 times daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with equal amounts of lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply it on the affected areas and gently massage for 5 minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Do this once daily.
You can also use these remedies to get rid of dark elbows or knees.
5. LIGHTENS FRECKLES
Freckles, a common sign of sun-damaged skin, can be a beauty concern for both men and women. Lemon juice has skin-lightening and bleaching properties that can lighten the freckles and even make them disappear over time.
- Gently massage the affected skin areas with freshly extracted lemon juice for 5 minutes. Wait another 10 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a paste with the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of beaten yogurt and a little honey. Apply this paste on the affected areas. Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with cool water. Use this treatment once daily.
6. WHITENS YELLOW TEETH
If you are self-conscious about your yellow teeth and want a shiny, sparkling white smile, lemon is your answer. Its bleaching property helps whiten yellow teeth and save your hard-earned money that you might have spent buying expensive teeth-whitening products.
- Rub a fresh lemon peel all over your teeth. Wait for a couple of minutes, then rinse your mouth with warm water. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, prepare a mixture with ¼ teaspoon of salt or baking soda and enough lemon juice to make a thin paste. Apply it on the stained teeth and gently rub it around. Wait for 1 minute, then rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this remedy once daily for a week.
7. STRENGTHENS BRITTLE NAILS
Many people complain about dull and brittle nails that are prone to breaking. Lemon juice is a good option to strengthen brittle nails.
The vitamin C and folic acid in it promote nail growth. In addition, its bleaching property helps whiten and brighten your nails.
- Before going to bed, soak your nails in fresh lemon juice for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and coat your nails with a light layer of olive or coconut oil. Wear gloves overnight. Repeat this remedy daily for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, prepare a nail-strengthening soak with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Warm this solution in the microwave, then soak your nails in it for 10 minutes. Allow it to dry, then put on a pair of soft, cotton gloves and go to sleep. The next morning, rinse your hands with warm water. Use this remedy daily until you are satisfied with the results.
8. LIGHTENS DARK LIPS
You can use lemon juice to lighten dark lips, which can occur due to excessive exposure to direct sunlight, use of low-quality cosmetics and high caffeine intake.
The natural bleaching property helps lighten dark lips and restore your lips’ natural pink shade. It may take some time, but the results are definitely worth your patience and persistence.
- Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon and gently rub it on your lips before going to bed. Follow this simple remedy daily for a couple of months.
- You can even prepare a mixture with ½ teaspoon each of lemon juice, glycerin and honey. Apply it on your lips like a lip balm daily before going to bed for a few months.